A press release from DVSA lists some of the reasons given by people for not taxing their vehicles. You can read the article yourself, but I will repeat the list they give here:
- I’m about to start a prison sentence, so is there any way you could hang on to my ice cream van for six months ‘til I get out?
- I would’ve taxed my van but my bitter ex put four live chickens in it
- I know it was untaxed, but I didn’t think you’d clamp cars in a heatwave
- I forgot to tax it as I was looking after the kids (aged 19 and 26)
- I couldn’t tax my car as I’ve had man flu and have been stuck in bed for 4 weeks
- I would’ve taxed the car, but you clamped it so early in the morning (the car was clamped at lunchtime)
I love the one about looking after the ‘kids’.