The latest advice from the DSA is about driving in crappy weather – more of which is forecast for the UK.
Before you set off:
- you MUST be able to see, so clear all snow and ice from all your windows.
- you MUST ensure that lights are clean and number plates are clearly visible and legible.
- make sure the mirrors are clear and the windows are demisted thoroughly.
- remove all snow that might fall off into the path of other road users.
- check your planned route is clear of delays and that no further snowfalls or severe weather are predicted.
One of my pupils was boasting last week how his mate could drive the van to work safely with only a small patch of the window scraped free of ice. With the aid of a pen, his finger pointing at it, and opening or closing his eyes to track the pen as my moved it, I think I successfully managed to convince him what a twat his mate is.